Wednesday, April 8, 2009

On Al Jazeera in English As Seen From Within the US

I should be asleep... But I've had 3rd world styled food poisoning, the details of which I will spare you. But my physician DR kindly e-mailed me a remedy to care for myself since I don't have healthcare at the moment.
He suggested I go find that Pedialyte (electrolyte replenishing drink for infants) which for six and half dollars (at the corner liquor shop) for a liter I don't know how people can afford to breed...
Also got Gatorade to go with it. I must really have been dehydrated for all that I drank I have hardly had to go as it were. It is tough being sick out here in the sticks of Ghettoville alone - too far from friends. Though there are many nearby within sight churches and mosques - no one is in the habit of checking up on the neighbors...
I'm exhausted from having been so sick but now can't sleep...
I was watching al Jazeera in English via satellite and they had the most amazing examination on two things in the US:
1. Detroit - and how the current economy is affecting that already dead carcass of a once grand and beautiful place (real estate that can't find buyers at 50 dollars to 500 dollars for a house on some land, albeit in need of work but habitable all the same) - This because vast neighborhoods have no police department or fire department or city services like trash and garbage pick up that make up basic urban infrastructure city services - It was nearly sci-fi post apocalyptic Mad Max, Mel Gibson, Road Warrior like - Perhaps the scariest part of that report was on the newer suburban places being stripped down and left vacant or the (30 some storied) high-rises that make up the core of the center of downtown Detroit all being abandoned; (not just a few floors being empty or one or two abandoned hi-rises but all of them) - and then...
2. On the US prison population being 25 percent of the global prison population while our US national population only comprises 5 percent of the global human population... Then how the criminal justice system is preying upon the poor under classes in merciless ways... It was all really great documentary style production - but, my God, this country from an outsiders critical perspective is really exposing how, in places here, everything is in shameful tatters. I mean, we all know this on some level but it takes an outsider view sometimes to present it back to us. To hold up the mirror so we can see ourselve as we are.
If only this stuff were available on mainstream US media outlets. And it's al Jazeera and it's actually very concerned on our behalf in these overtly sympathetic ways that for media is quite sophisticated to present in convincing ways. I really must say Al Jazeera in English is impressive and very much needed. But who here watches it? But hey I'm unemployed can't they at Al Jazeera in English hire me?
There was also a point about the central train station in Detroit being this once grand and now abandoned structure that was in use until like January '88 which lasted longer than Columbus' Central Station or Union Station as I think it was called... it was also a grand structure... demolished - Reaganized... And now though Columbus is the state Capitol there is no passenger train service that stops here.
...And that poor people here end up in prison - where the state pays 60,000 a year on the inmate - and the inmate in their whole life probably never had access to that much money or care that money like that could provide - so it might be prison but it is better than Ghetto-life...
So I am really thinking - my God - those Islamic Republic for all their libertarian drawbacks might be statistically speaking on the whole offering all of their citizens a better way of life than the liberal democracy way of life here in the states that we identify with as being Lady Liberty's light and beakon to the world as an example....
And, Ironically, people in those Islamic Republic generally believe our liberal democracies are in theory a great way or method and that Islamic Republics have a lot to learn from our way of life, which is, actually, in tune with the Islamic sharia in ways we in the west are loathe to admit. So I am really scratching my head over this.
The question is why doesn't the states want to be the liberal democracy it is and why does it work so hard to undermine its own constitutional foundation - when Islamic Republics are defending and helping us undestand that which we ourselves as a nation are ironically undermining. I mean, would someone explain this to me... is it greed and Capitalism and Corporatism and economic despotism and Zionism all combined into this sinister Beast of our Biblical styled Apocalyptic making...? well it's food for thought.

No comments: